gabriel rosenkoetter on Fri, 20 Sep 2002 15:51:25 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT: Perl question

On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 07:16:31AM -0400, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> (I may be using the wrong terms here, but) It was in screen output
> section which was meant to provide the person running the script with
> some explanation about what was about to happen, etc.  When the author
> wanted to put stuff therein in quotes, he used two "back accents" ( ` )
> as leading quotes and two single quotes ( ' ) as closing quotes,
> presumably because a real double quote ( " ) would have been
> misinterpreted by the script.

So will backticks (accents, whatever) if the block of text is
within double-quotes already. He's just getting lucky because
there's nothing between the two backticks, but that's spawning a
shell (with no arguments, that immediately dies) every time.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net