Arthur S. Alexion on Fri, 20 Sep 2002 11:26:16 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT: Perl question

On Friday 20 September 2002 09:51 am, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 12:14:44PM -0400, Stephen Brown wrote:
> > Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> > - if it is and escape code in a string in the code, then
> > the author might have intended to have 0x0A (LF a.k.a. \n) instead.
>
> That's plausible, but the intention was more likely exactly what
> that character means to be (a non-breaking space, as mentioned
> elsewhere).

Here's what really happened.  The author sent me the script in the body
of an email.  The script used tabs to indent text.  I copied it from my
mail client, kmail, and pasted it into my text editor, kate.  Somewhere
in the process, a 5 space tab was converted into 4 non-breaking spaces
and one regular space.

The perl interpreter choked on the non-breaking space.