gabriel rosenkoetter on Sat, 21 Sep 2002 12:55:15 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT: Perl question

On Sat, Sep 21, 2002 at 12:37:09PM -0400, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> my theory is that that is how the code got perverted in the first
> place.  It was sent to me in the body of an email.  I copied and pasted
> it into a text editor for saving as a file.  I believe that the process
> caused {tab} characters to be pasted or saved as a group of nb spaces
> followed by a regular space.  When I did a regular experession search
> and replace, that's the way they were lined up.

Right, but if you'd pasted the code in, those of us who know Perl
and text representation standards (hopefully as well as we think we
do ;^>) could have allayed any fears over any of the other
characters.

Note, btw, that if the author had sent you his code as an attachment,
you wouldn't have had this problem. (That is, the trouble is your
MUA trying to do interpretation on the plain text data. Don't let it
do that.)

> btw, even though I have seen the tilde ( ~ ) used a lot for something
> other than ñ, I had never seen the accent ( ` ) used for anything.

There aren't that many characters available in 8 bits, much less 7.
It stands to reason that some will be used for special things in
programming languages, especially when they effectively duplicate
the functionality of other characters in the set.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net