Arthur S. Alexion on Thu, 26 Sep 2002 08:57:21 -0400

Re: [PLUG] .directory files

On Wednesday 25 September 2002 10:29 pm, Ian Reinhart Geiser wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 September 2002 10:11 pm, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 07:51:38PM -0400, Ian Reinhart Geiser
> > wrote: > This is because of a small oversight on the FS designers
> > not to allow for > metadata in the filesystem.
> >
> > Pshaw. There's plenty of room for metadata in the FS. It just so
> > happens it's used for storing little things like file modification
> > times and such. You know, nothing so important as an icon's
> > position.
>
> On a desktop OS that is important.  I mean not on a server, but in
> the instance of desktop icon position and folder data is VERY
> imporant.
>
> I think even BeOS and NeXT took into accound metadata in the
> filesystem that accounted for icon management.
>
> Either way, its an accedemic argument, and somehow GUI filemanagers
> must work arround this limitation of the filesystem.  A small local
> hidden file is the safest and most effective way to do this

Debates about gui vs. character interfaces will probably wage on as
long as a character interface is possible.  It's a personal preference
thing with the current masses (and I mean people who use computers for
any number of things, at work, at home, at the atm, the gas pump --
people who may not even consider themselves computer users -- not just
people who enjoy computing) appearing to favor gui.  I don't forsee
that changing.

That said, I'm not sure what "icon position" means outside the special
"Desktop" directory.  While you can configure the file manager as to
your general sorting preferences, the amount of detail you wish to
display, etc., the icons appear to obey the sorting configuration, and
line themselves up adjacently in that order.  So, my question is "icon
position" in what application or interface?