Bill Jonas on Thu, 26 Sep 2002 17:33:16 -0400

Re: [PLUG] gnome or gtk+ compile?

On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 05:15:24PM -0400, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> I have gnome, but generally work in kde.  Some apps (e.g. I am now
> compiling Abiword) let you compile them for gnome or just for gtk+.
> Which is better in my situation?

GTK+, definitely.  That way the program won't have to start a bunch of
GNOME crap when you run it, if it needs to.

Let me put it this way (since I know a little bit more about KDE): If
given the choice to compile against KDE or just plain Qt, I'd pick Qt.
Don't know if you've noticed or not, but when you're not in KDE and fire
up a KDE application, you spawn many processes, several of them being
kdeinit.  I wouldn't be surprised if GNOME did something similar.

"They that can give up  essential  liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."        -- Benjamin Franklin