gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 26 Sep 2002 20:22:19 -0400

Re: tangent warning. was: Re: [PLUG] .directory files

On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 07:39:48PM -0400, Will Dyson wrote:
> Uh. I really don't think that Gabe was arguing agains GUIs. Just
> pedanticly pointing out that there is plenty of metadata about each file
> in the filesystem.

More than anything else, I was playing the part, which is part of
why I've stayed out of the ensuing discussion. :^>

I actually don't have much against GUI-based interfaces, where they
make sense. I'm not so hot on people who try to both do that and
low-level administration, since many of the fine details get easily
lost in a GUI to configure them, for a wide variety of reasons I
can't even put a finger on. (Windows is a prime example, Apple's
trod both sides of the line--their network configuration in Mac OS pre
7.5 or so was totally whacked out if you wanted to use TCP/IP, but
Mac OS 8 and 9 are pretty good, X I'll come to in a moment, Irix
does a pretty decent job, much better, I think, than Solaris's
ToolTalk stuff, which is weird considering how similar the building
blocks there are.)

I happen to think that, for POSIX-ish OSes, a command line interface
makes the most sense because all of the standard (that is, the ones
they've all got) tools use that interface. Not even various
GNU/Linux distribution's GUI configuration tools look the same, much
less across OSes. But, despite small syntax differences[1], ifconfig(8)
performs the same function everywhere, no searching for the
network-configuration-widget in whatever graphical configurator
you're using.

Bear in mind that my OS progression went from Mac OS through NetBSD
to whatever-as-long-as-it's-mostly-POSIX. I've got a couple of
NeXTs, and I really like NeXTStep (having seen it first in Washington
University's Arts & Sciences lab in the mid-80s, before that all got
blown away for Wintel machines). I'm not a big fan of what Apple did
to the interface when the turned NeXTStep into Mac OS X; imho they
made it harder to use.

So I'm not totally anti-GUI-stuff. But I've got this reputation to
live up to, you see... ;^>

Getting back to the metadata point... there are a lot of reasons my
"Bah, humbug!" response is silly. Extant file systems need more
space for metadata within the file system for a lot of reasons
wholly separate from any GUI interests (think ACLs especially). I
wouldn't live sticking 16k of crap in metadata just for an icon, but
it sure beats having a Windows registry-esque place to keep it all.
(I think having directory-local .icons files probably makes the best
compromise and wastes the least space while still functioning at a
reasonable pace, but I'm not the one doing the FS nor the GUI
design, so it's not like my opinion counts for a lot anyhow. :^>)

[1] Not that those differences don't regularly irritate the hell out
of me. And don't get me started on route(8).

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net