Will Dyson on Thu, 26 Sep 2002 19:41:22 -0400

Re: tangent warning. was: Re: [PLUG] .directory files

Mental Patient wrote:
On Wed, 2002-09-25 at 22:11, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 07:51:38PM -0400, Ian Reinhart Geiser wrote:

This is because of a small oversight on the FS designers not to allow for metadata in the filesystem.

Pshaw. There's plenty of room for metadata in the FS. It just so happens it's used for storing little things like file modification times and such. You know, nothing so important as an icon's position.

<big snippage>

I for one, appreciate a decent GUI for day to day tasks. I do not feel
this lessens my abilities. When the GUI doesnt do what I need, I'm fully
capable of using and appreciate my Eterm. That said, there are times the
CLI isn't the right answer.

Uh. I really don't think that Gabe was arguing agains GUIs. Just pedanticly pointing out that there is plenty of metadata about each file in the filesystem.

--
Will Dyson
"Back off man, I'm a scientist!" -Dr. Peter Venkman