Will Dyson on Thu, 26 Sep 2002 19:36:20 -0400

Re: [PLUG] .directory files

Ian Reinhart Geiser wrote:

On Wednesday 25 September 2002 10:11 pm, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

Pshaw. There's plenty of room for metadata in the FS. It just so
happens it's used for storing little things like file modification
times and such. You know, nothing so important as an icon's
position.

<snip>

I think even BeOS and NeXT took into accound metadata in the filesystem that accounted for icon management.

BeOS certainly did. It's gui used arbitrary user-settable attributes on files and directories to full effect.

Either way, its an accedemic argument, and somehow GUI filemanagers must work arround this limitation of the filesystem. A small local hidden file is the safest and most effective way to do this.

It would be nice if they could also use attributes on filesystems that support them (such as XFS and BeFS(whenever I find time to do write support for it, anyway)).

--
Will Dyson
"Back off man, I'm a scientist!" -Dr. Peter Venkman