gabriel rosenkoetter on Sat, 28 Sep 2002 11:52:07 -0400

Re: [PLUG] [OT] Intel/AMD Motherboard

On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 08:30:16PM -0400, John McElroy wrote:
> You don't see much else on AMD motherboards now a days; ALI on a few, maybe SIS.
> What have been the major issues you have seen with VIA chipsets in the past?

Chip burnouts (of the BIOS itself), broken PCI interfaces,
allegedly-compliant APM systems that simply don't work with apmd
(though you can just go buy an IBM Thinkpad laptop if you want one
of those), all kinds of trouble. Not on my own machines, but reported
to NetBSD mailing lists.

I had a VIA chipset motherboard. It died due to electro-static
discharge (can't really blame it for that), and now I've got an ALI
one, which I don't really believe is better, but doesn't have as
many horror stories (that I've heard) behind it.

In any case, I won't be buying IA32 hardware again any time soon (if
ever), but if I did it'd be an Intel ServerWorks motherboard. It's
too bad: I like AMD's philosophy and chip prices far better.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net