Sean Finney on Sat, 28 Sep 2002 19:00:09 +0200

[PLUG] dynamic dns?

[this is cross-posted to s(warthmore)lug and p(hilly)lug]

So i have this domain (seanius.net), which has a static ip and is
running its own name services as well.  this box is across the street
from my apartment, with a different isp, and i'd like to set it up so
that my apartment's ip (a dynamic verizon) address is registered/updated
as a name on that domain (something like 13pa.seanius.net).

Now since i'm running my own nameserver, if i understand correctly i
don't have to use the services of anyone like dyndns.org, but i *do*
need to install a dyndns client on my apartment box (running NetBSD),
and some kind of dyndns 'server' on the name server (debian gnu/linux).
There's a list of clients off of dyndns.org's page, and i've managed
to find at least two 'servers' (gnudip,ddt-server), but since i don't
have much experience with any of these apps, i'm hoping to field some
opinions from anyone who may have already done this.

so, any opinions or advice?  my greatest concerns are stability and
security, of course, though portability would be nice as well, since
client and server are running different OS's.

thanks
--sean