noah silva on Sun, 29 Sep 2002 18:16:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] CD Burner Recommendations

Hi John,

I burn a very large number of CD-ROMs, sometimes more than 100 per
week.  I have used the following writers:

a.) An IDE Teac internal laptop one - this one works ok but is a bit
flaky. (win2k)
b.) A Phillips 48x IDE one.  This one works a bit better.  It is very
fast, but occasionally has buffer under-run problems on the pII400mhz it
runs on.  (win2k)
c.) A cheap IDE NEC drive I got recently for my GF's PC.. so far so good
(under Suse Linux).
d.) My roomate's IDE lite-on drive... maybes about 3 coasters for every
good CD...
e.) My SCSI Yamaha 8424 drive.  This drive does the bulk of my writing.
Despite being only 8x, it is somehow faster than most 8x drives (i.e.
the "fixating" stage takes much less time, etc.  It really hasn't made
any coasters ever that weren't the fault of the computer.  I have used
this on my Atari TT computer, under debian linux on my athalon, and
under solaris on sparc.  I have burned...many thousands of CDs total,
and used the thing off and on for several years.  I have also remounted
this drive several times from inside different computers to an external
case, etc., without any problems.  When I buy a new drive, it will for
sure be a Yamaha.  Plextor is also high on the list.  I would recommend
getting a SCSI card, and a SCSI drive, if you plan to use the recorder a
lot (or want to leave IDE slots open for expanding your system).

as for media....
I was cautious at first and bought the $3.00 Yamaha blanks... then I
moved to cheaper and cheaper blanks, ending up at the $0.10 memorex,
etc., which routinely went bad -AFTER- burning (i.e. the plastic layer
would peal up, etc.).  I bought some unbranded ones (mitsui manufactured
I think) in very large quantities from ... americal.com.  I had no
problems with them, but they just weren't as cheap as they should have
been for the quantities I got.  One day I stumbled across Pioneer 50
packs for $9.99 (which came with 3 CD-RWs bundled) at microcenter.  I
bought about 1000 CDs in that form, and though they are used up now,
they worked very well, with none of them going bad so far (though they
aren't so compatible with some audio players).  Recently, you can get
100 packs of Pioneer 80 minute CD-Rs for $25 or something like that at
microcenter, so I have.... again no problems.

thanks,
   noah silva