Paul on Mon, 30 Sep 2002 00:30:09 +0200

Re: [PLUG] [OT] Intel/AMD Motherboard

It sure does when the BIOS offers you no way to turn off the (hardware-
controlled) monitor blanking. Makes it awfully hard to watch a movie
if you have to hit a key every ten minutes to keep the screen from
dying (since video traffic doesn't count as activity to the VIA BIOS
I had).

I don't think this should be an apmd issue. I don't use apmd. I config power management for my monitor through software. I guess the software talks to my BIOS. In my BIOS I do have an option to control power management, but I'm not sure how it is currently configured, and I can't check without rebooting.

ntsysv says this: "apmd is used for monitoring battery status and logging it via syslog(8). It can also be used for shutting down the machine when the battery is low."

xconfig help says this about APM BIOS support: "Generally, if you don't have a battery in your machine, there isn't much point in using this driver and you should say N."

There is an option in the BIOS to allow the video card to use an IRQ (like there are plenty to go around). Maybe if the video card is using an IRQ APM can monitor the IRQ for activity.

How old is the system you're referring to? It sounds like an older system with BIOS option deficiency.