gabriel rosenkoetter on Sun, 29 Sep 2002 19:20:43 +0200

Re: [PLUG] [OT] Intel/AMD Motherboard

On Sat, Sep 28, 2002 at 03:35:29PM -0400, Paul wrote:
> Never lost a BIOS.  PCI, or more accurately, PnP, can get weird
> sometimes.  Functionality of ampd doesn't matter unless it's a laptop.

It sure does when the BIOS offers you no way to turn off the (hardware-
controlled) monitor blanking. Makes it awfully hard to watch a movie
if you have to hit a key every ten minutes to keep the screen from
dying (since video traffic doesn't count as activity to the VIA BIOS
I had).

> The prices and performance of AMD CPU's is great.  I always use and
> recommend AMD.
>
> What exactly is the AMD philosophy?

Sell CPUs at the speed they're capable of, rather than specing them
way lower than they can go and charging more for it.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net