zeek on Sun, 29 Sep 2002 19:40:34 +0200

[PLUG] Recovering 7 years of email

I have years of email backups on a sundry of cdrom, floppy, and numerous
sub-sub-sub directories that I'd like to somehow organize. For years I've
viewed the task as too herculean or complicated that I quickly figured only
a commercial solution would be availble, something to gladly accept my
numerous mailboxes and transfer them to a propreitary format which could
then only be viewed if EUL was accepted and paid for.

In recent thinking of (Open Source: my/Postgres)SQL abilities I realized
this task might not be so difficult.

1) A simple script to scan a mounted cdrom for mailboxes (uncompressed unix
mbox, if it's a file and has ^From: more than once it's probably a mailbox).
2) Take certain elements of the mail header To: From: Date: and use that for
indexing.
3) Feed it to the database
4) A PHP frontend to search/view/manipulate this database

My question is then: It seems there would a large demand to search or browse
years of personal email archives --there must be something out there. And
yes, I have not looked yet... because typically the results are overwhelming
and I'd rather get a poll of opinion.

Cheers,
-zeek