Chris Beggy on Sat, 28 Sep 2002 23:24:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Visually-impaired computing

"Michael F. Robbins" <mike@gamerack.com> writes:

> I'm not sure yet, but XEmacs might just prove to be a big part of the
> solution.  From my quick google searching, it has good support for
> text-to-speech.  It would also be able to handle whatever simple writing
> and e-mailing she'd need to do (though I've never used Emacs for
> email).  I haven't looked into this possibility too much, but the
> all-in-one nature of it might just make things easier to integrate with
> whatever magnification or TTS software I find.

http://www.freebsoft.org/

is a good place to look.  Jan Buchal is himself a blind software
developer and project leader.  I really admire his work.  Indeed,
he uses emacs for email, but much of the tool development is not
emacscentric.

Chris