gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 30 Sep 2002 16:41:08 -0400

Re: [PLUG] spoofing

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 02:40:37PM -0400, Jason wrote:
> Forged spam is a definite problem, and sometimes your email address may be
> used as the forged sender when sent to others. This is a really big problem
> if your email server is being used as an "open relay".

Um. Those two things are completely unrelated. I can give whatever
address I like as an argument to MAIL FROM: when I'm talking to your
SMTP (or, really my own) server. If you want me to, I'll prove to
you by sending email from you to you from my MX (uriel.eclipsed.net,
go ahead and test it for relaying, it doesn't).

Better yet, test this yourself. Set up a hotmail account, then
telnet to port 25 of (one of) Hotmail's mail exchanger(s). For extra
points, telnet for a shell account on a system other than where you
actually receive mail. Issue these commands:

EHLO <your local host>
MAIL FROM: Jason <jason@nocks.com>
RCPT TO: <account>@hotmail.com
DATA
Subject: whee, faked source address

blah blah
.
QUIT

Note that the mail received on Hotmail appears to be from you, even
though it wasn't sent in the usual fashion (or from the "right"
place). Now examine the full headers (if Hotmail even lets you do
that), and notice that the source IP address that originally made the
connection to Hotmails mail exchanger was, in fact logged and has,
in fact, nothing to do with nocks.com's mail exchanger. Tracing
things by email address is silly and useless. Tracing them by
Recieved: headers works some times, but those are easily spoofed as
well (they're just text in a message!). You're best off going the
next hop back and examining log files until you get where you're
going.

> If you use fetchmail, then if there is a problem, it is most
> likely your ISP's concern, assuming you have adequate firewall
> protection around your local email server.

No, it's most likely no one's concern. There is no reason that Art's
mail server needs to be even remotely involved for email to appear
to come from him. This is why we use digital encryption algorithms
for authentication; source addresses are totally meaningless. IP
addresses still bear a little bit of weight, but email addresses
bear none at all.

Unless it's digitally signed, there's no way to prove a given person
sent something that it appears they sent, and it is demonstrably
simple to prove that faking it was possible. No court would let
anything fly based on a source email address. (Cf, topical /.
headline today.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net