Bob Schwier on Mon, 30 Sep 2002 18:30:09 +0200

Re: [PLUG] ENIAC

I'm told by a guy named Bouchillon who was one of Grace Hopper's petty
officers that two grad students ran round the machine with a shopping cart
filled with tubes to replace those that burned out in action.  The thing
took enough power to light a small city.
By the way, if you look at a drawing for a mat for any modern computer
chip and then look at the blue prints for ENIAC and remember that you no
longer need the capacitance protection, you would see that you are looking
at the same structures.  Remembering what logic gates are supposed to look
like, you could map ENIAC.  I wonder if any one has actually tried to
place ENIAC's specific algorithm on a chip.  Yeah, I admit, the thing
would not be up to a good calculator but then that is progress.
bs