Arthur S. Alexion on Wed, 2 Oct 2002 07:27:07 -0400

Re: [PLUG] j-pilot backups

On Tuesday 01 October 2002 07:06 pm, John Lavin wrote:
> Arthur S. Alexion said:
> > I have just gotten a replacement Palm (cracked screen), and want to
> > transfer ALL OF THE DATA.  J-pilot, using pilot-link does a nice
> > backup.  Has anyone restored from one of these backups?  Anything I
> > should know?
>
> Just one thing:  Backup all palm files on your desktop if that's the
> "clean" version you want to keep before doing anything.
>
> I found out the hard way that pilot-link takes a palm first, desktop
> later priority in sync'ing.  What is likely is it will wipe your
> desktop versions out.  Check the documentation.
>
> There should be a command there to just upload a pilot database to
> the palm.  Do that for all your data files first before doing a sync.
>  You should be back up and running after that.

It was actually pretty easy and "almost" flawless.  J-pilot uses
pilot-link for its synching.  It provides a GUI interface for backups,
but not restores.  I expected that the restore would be automatic (as
it is with Palm's HotSync) if the unit had a null username and user ID.
 While this was not the case, j-pilot popped up a dialog that told me
what pilot-link commands to run to restore the unit.  Just two commands
and -- bamm! -- the Palm is restored.

On the flawless front, I used j-pilot/pilot-link because windows
HotSync does not back up everything.  There are some commercial
products that do, but I have j-pilot/pilot-link, so why bother.

j-pilot/pilot-link provided a one click full backup, and as I learned,
the restore was simple.  It seems everything was preserved (even my
place/cursor in the databases), except one thing.  My wireless apps
(PQAs) are in memory, but not launchable.  However, when I check the
old machine, it seems the problems may have been there all along, and
not the result of the data transfer.

Anyway, the pilot-link package was, IMO, so typically Linux: far more
powerfull and configurable than its windows inspiration, but a bit
arcane for the masses who fear the command line.