Fred K Ollinger on Mon, 7 Oct 2002 12:42:39 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Red Hat 8.0 Download / SMB??

> I did not play with smb.conf in 7.3 and could not see the box.  I added the
> workgroup name in 8 and still cannot see the linux box or the Win boxes (98
> and 2k) - don't care about accessing the home dir at this point.  It did
> not work before I changed it either.

One nice thing about using unix, IMHO, is that you can test things on a
lower level if your gui looks screwed up. For example, you can use
smbclient to check to make sure that samba is not broken in the new rh
release (I doubt that it is). Only if this fails should you look into
config files. You should also grep around in /var/log before changing any
config files. I am in the (bad) habit of mucking around w/ config files as
soon as something looks fishy and that always haunts me later when I find
out that the problem lies elsewhere.

> It's always safe for me to assume Operator Error.  Ideas?

This is always #1 on my list for a user, but if you are doing exactly what
worked in rh7.3 and didn't change config files, then I would say that the
error is elsewhere.

Fred Ollinger