William H. Magill on Mon, 7 Oct 2002 13:30:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] what is this format?

On Monday, October 7, 2002, at 01:05 PM, eric@lucii.org wrote:
------- begin excerpt -----

      Constitution
      =20
     =20
By JAY BOOKMAN=20

The official story on Iraq has never made sense. The connection that the =
Bush administration has tried to draw between Iraq and al-Qaida has =
always seemed contrived and artificial. In fact, it was hard to believe =
that smart people in the Bush administration would start a major war =

These artifacts are from Microsoft Mail processing. Either directly from Outlook (unusual), or via Microsoft Exchange (the most common source). They come from the conversion from Rich text Fromat (RTF) mail to SMTP (i.e. ASCII) format. They are actually products of a mis-configured sever, but the number of MSE who know how to configure the server correctly to talk to a non-Microsoft world are few and far between.

If I really care, I use emacs to clean them up... but usually the messages are just noise (aka spam), so I just delete them.

It is possible for the Outlook client to define ASCII as its default format instead of RTF, but that rarely happens, so it's left to the Exchange server to truncate the lines to 80 characters.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org