Jeff Weisberg on Mon, 7 Oct 2002 17:09:21 -0400

Re: [PLUG] what is this format?

| The equals at the end of each line and the extra characters (=20 for
| example) prevents me from using some easy reformatting techniques and
| forces me to edit each line independently.
|
| What is this format?  I believe that "=20" is an ascii 20 (space) but I
| don't know.  I end up saving it as text (from mutt) and then importing
| it into a new message.  That's okay if I want to resend it but sometimes
| I just want to reformat it and save it.

it is "quoted-printable" encoding. MIME capable mail software
will (should) encode and decode this transparently to you.

If you are using MIME capable software (such as mutt), and you
see this, something, somewhere, is broken.

	--jeff

see also:
	RFC 2045 - MIME (in particular section 6)