Time on Mon, 7 Oct 2002 16:53:19 -0400

Re: [PLUG] comcast and linux

On Sat, Oct 05, 2002 at 12:53:52AM +0000, Comcast Sucks wrote:
> Hi,
>     Does anyone else use comcast with Linux ? If so how are you able to send
> and receive email, I can retrieve email with Mozilla mail but the server
> does not allow me to send. It complains that relaying is denied and I must
> check my POP account before trying to send.  Outlook and Outlook express
> seem to work fine.
>
> Any help would really be appreciated

I've had a similar problem with outgoing mail in the past. Seems Comcast
filters outgoing syn packets to prevent people from setting up mail
servers, only it seems they did this only in a few areas, not all, from
what I could tell.

If in case you are falling into this area of nulldom, you'll need to
setup a smart-host to a server outside the comcast network where you'll
tell sendmail to forward to the expecting server and have that server
relay the mail for you.

FYI, when I was having that trouble, I was living in Jenkintown and was
on the Willow Grove hub.

Good Luck.

--
Regards,