Stephen Gran on Mon, 7 Oct 2002 17:15:20 -0400

Re: [PLUG] comcast and linux

This one time, at band camp, Time said:
> On Sat, Oct 05, 2002 at 12:53:52AM +0000, Comcast Sucks wrote:
> > Hi, Does anyone else use comcast with Linux ? If so how are you able
> > to send and receive email, I can retrieve email with Mozilla mail
> > but the server does not allow me to send. It complains that relaying
> > is denied and I must check my POP account before trying to send.
> > Outlook and Outlook express seem to work fine.
> >
> > Any help would really be appreciated
>
> I've had a similar problem with outgoing mail in the past. Seems
> Comcast filters outgoing syn packets to prevent people from setting up
> mail servers, only it seems they did this only in a few areas, not
> all, from what I could tell.
>
> If in case you are falling into this area of nulldom, you'll need to
> setup a smart-host to a server outside the comcast network where
> you'll tell sendmail to forward to the expecting server and have that
> server relay the mail for you.
>
> FYI, when I was having that trouble, I was living in Jenkintown and
> was on the Willow Grove hub.

I had Comcast for a while, and the reason I left them was their
firewalling.  They block all port 25 and 80 requests, so yo can't have a
mail or web server.

That being said, mail with Comcast worked OK for me.  I let fetchmail do
all of my mail retrieval, dumping it onto exim and letting either
procmail or exim's forwarding take care of sorting.  Outgoing mail can
be set up to either go through Comcast, using host_auth - you need to
find where to specify username and password in your MTA config.  Then
tell all your mail clients to use localhost, rather than trying to send
through Comcast directly.  The other option that I eventually used was
setting up exim as an internet site for sending mail - this works just
fine.  You just have to do a host lookup of your IP, and specify that as
your actual hostname in exim.conf.  Can't help you for other MTA's.

HTH,
Steve

--
What passes for woman's intuition is often nothing more than man's
transparency.