Bill Jonas on Mon, 7 Oct 2002 22:20:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] The Red Hat speaker

On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 09:41:18PM -0400, Iman Mayes wrote:
> What happened to the speaker from Red Hat paying us a visit?

Several people got this in their mailbox today (I'm sure the sender
won't mind a forward to the list since it was sent to about a dozen or
so people initially anyway):

----- Forwarded message from Kathleen Langhi <klanghi@redhat.com> -----

Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 17:01:43 -0400
From: Kathleen Langhi <klanghi@redhat.com>
To: [Lots-o-folks]
Subject: Red Hat Road Tour 2002

Hi all -

My name is Kathleen and I am helping put together a Red Hat Road Tour
kicking off (tentatively) Oct. 31.  At this point in time, it looks like
our road team will be in the your area Nov 3, and we would
like the opportunity to spend some time with you.  Please note that this
is still tentative and things might change.

We got a note from a couple of people in response to our Under the Brim
contest
saying we should stop in Philadelphia...so we are!  We will be stopping
in at Ursinus College Saturday night and then will remain in the area on
Sunday.  We realize Sunday is not the best day, but there are two
options here... 1) I can give you the name of the person setting up the
Ursinus College event and you guys can crash the party  2) You can have
your own event at an appropriate time on Sunday the 3rd and have the Red
Hat roadies all to yourself.

(*Note: I saw on the Philly LUG site that you are associated with the
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia, we'd also like to invite
them to participate if you see fit.)

So you tell me!

A popular question has been, what are you guys going to be doing on this
"road tour" anyway?  Good question. That depends a bit on what you want.
We are prepared to do a number of things such as:

1) Give away stuff
2) Demo 8.0
3) Technical round table/panel discussion
4) Talk about legislative issues and OpenSource
5) Buy the Red Hatters some lunch...;-) (or dinner in this case)

So, for the purposes of this email, I thought I would try to get the
conversation started as to what type of event is possible.

Here are some questions to consider:

1:  What would be the location?

2:  Does the date work?

3:  Our team has all day Sunday, what would be a convenient time?

4:  Are there any special guidelines we would need to follow as far as
parking our RV at this location?  Is it permissable by the
school/college (if applicable)? Where would be the best place to park?

5:  What would the set up be?  Would there be a gathering in a
conference hall or a classroom? Or would it be a hoppin event in the
parking lot?

6:  How many people can we expect?  Just a rough estimate would be
great.

7:  How long would you like for us to hang out?

8:  Would you like help publicizing the event?  If so, in what ways can
we help?

We don't need these answers right away...but, fairly soon.

Who would be the main contact or event planner?  Please provide contact
information if possible or you are welcome to contact me.

Also, after the above questions have been answered, we would also need
the name and address of where the event is to take place.  And if there
is someone that could provide directions, that would be tremendously
helpful.

I think that's all for now.  I will keep you informed as the route of
our tour gets firmed up.  We should have something up shortly on
redhat.com to help publicize the event. I'll let you know when it's
live.

We are very excited at the prospect of this event!  Please let me know
how we can help make it a success and valuable to those who attend.

Thanks,

Kathleen Langhi
Red Hat
Direct Marketing Coordinator
1801 Varsity Dr.
Raleigh, NC 27606
866 273 3428 ext 44285

P.S. If I should not be available, you can also speak to Stephanie
Jordan, Project Coordinator here at Red Hat.  Same phone number and ext.
44091.

----- End forwarded message -----

"They that can give up  essential  liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."        -- Benjamin Franklin