Kevin Brosius on Wed, 9 Oct 2002 10:40:05 -0400

[PLUG] Mail archive apps / MARC

So... we've been talking webmail today and it reminded me of one of my
wishlist items.  I'd like to see a open source mail archiver like MARC.
Anybody know of anything?  MARC's two pig benefits are fast inserting of
incoming mail in the archives and broad search capability.  I like it
because it allows reading mailing lists you aren't subscribed to in
almost real time.  Even on very high traffic lists like linux-kernel.
Check it out at http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?w=2 and
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&w=2

Yeah, I know about mailman.  And I've looked into a couple other common
archivers (Monarch, etc.)  They seem to have update methods that
generally are setup to cron every 24 hours or so.  And they look like
they would require very extensive processor resources to update more
frequently (say hourly or more often.)  Oh, and their search
capabilities seem rather lousy.

--
Kevin Brosius

PS. Yeah, I could add the lists I want to MARC.  As an aside, I'd like
to be able to archive some private lists also.  MARC doesn't support
private lists.  I've tried to contact them about their software a couple
times with no response.  Even to requests for pricing info for a
possible purchase.