Beldon Dominello on Wed, 9 Oct 2002 08:10:04 -0400

[PLUG] Call for help in Connecticut

I've posted this same announcement on the local LUG mailing list up here in
the Hartford area.  I'm posting it to PhillyLUG in case we have any
subscribers to the list who live in the Hartford area.

Thanx!

1337 h4x0rz wanted!

Okay, not exactly.

My name is Beldon Dominello and I do volunteer work at the Vintage Radio and
Communications Museum of Connecticut. Yes, the one that used to be on Main
St. in E. Hartford.  We've moved to our own facility in Windsor shortly after
I became involved last fall.

I came up with the brilliant idea that I could put together a Linux-based
network to catalog our vast array of equipment, books, records, vacuum tubes
(firebottles, glassfets, whatever), and other assorted vintage goodies.  We
are in desperate need of a real database since what little inventory there is
is on MS Works spreadsheets.  I have the training to design and administer
databases, and even have enough programming skillz to design a nice front-end
app.  The problem is I'm all alone and have only a limited number of cycles
to perform these things, and I'm already very involved in digitizing the
100,000+ 78s and LPs we've recently been donated.

The people in the museum are dedicated and a great bunch of guys but they are,
by and large, computer-illiterate.  They also have their own skillz-- but
they mostly have to do with (not surprisingly) radios and the like.

What I'm looking for is a few good hackers (white or grey hats) who can help
me put this system together.  I've already got some old commodity hardware
(okay, one server and one workstation) that should be sufficient, but I need
help.  The project is implementing a library system for the record and book
collection of the museum.  I have no problem using something pre-made like
Koha (http://www.koha.org), or coming up with our own.  In either case, I
need people with some development skill.  I'm trying to assemble a team to
create a new computer system for a museum that has never really had one, but
needs one very badly.

I'm especially calling out to anyone who needs some reaume-building or wants
to learn while doing a real-world project.

Please contact me at my e-mail address if you're interested, and I will
contact you privately.

Thanks for your help!

	-Beldon
--
There is a natural hootchy-kootchy to a goldfish.
		-- Walt Disney