Darxus on Wed, 9 Oct 2002 04:00:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] PLUG Website Maintenence

Sorry for not noticing & replying to this thread earlier.  As predicted, I
haven't been paying much attention to PLUG.

I still live in Philly, still looking for an apartment in the Boston area
(probably in Arlington).

I don't really feel like a.. phpnuke type thing would improve the plug site
much.  Maybe rearrange the front page to improve clarity - I tried to make
it easy to find info if you knew what you were looking for.  I was thinking
about writing some php to make editing the meeting schedule easier (and
transferring past meetings from there to the previous meetings page).  I'm
still willing to do that if it would get used.  That's the only part of the
site that got updated regularly.

I'm kind of tempted to just stay out of this process unless my input is
requested... I don't want to.. inadvertently discourage people from being
productive.  Feel free to do what you (collectively) like.

On 10/04, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> So would CVS, and it's more general (and already installed, no
> doubt).

We (BJ & I) looked into CVS for a while.  At the time I think we decided
that for the relatively few people likely to use the capability at the
time, it wouldn't be worth the effort to set up - the big problem had
something to do with user management (I still haven't actually used cvs
myself).

This is not an argument against using CVS, I think that would be fine...

On 10/04, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 09:47:07PM -0400, Iman Mayes wrote:
> > Zope,
>
> All I know about *that* is that a friend of a friend described as
> the smartest person my friend knows works for them. His comment is
> that everyone there makes him feel stupid. (Not on purpose, just by
> being brilliant.) A good feeling.

And he got that job as a side effect of doing research for a PLUG
presentation on Zope... and then I got his old job.  It's on the PLUG
history page.

On 10/04, multiple seriousity wrote:
> 2) the site needs to look good in lynx and those-other-text-browsers

The PLUG website is still listed among the lynx enhanced pages
(http://www.trill-home.com/lynx/enhanced_pages.html) (by an old url).

On 10/04, Jeff Weisberg wrote:
> I know that the site is currently being hosted (gratis)
> by nothinbut.net, an ISP. Many ISPs don't offer and don't
> permit customers to install apache modules, or cgi scripts.
>
> Is the server which currently hosts the site one on which
> desired modules and/or code could be installed? Is it a
> server with which we can do as we wish, or one on which
> we need to operate within the ISP's constraints?

Within a few days of the list server going down, nothinbut.net offered to
build us a dedicated machine to be administered by a couple of plug people.
This has not yet happened.  When it does, we should be able to do whatever
we want with it.

On 10/04, Iman Mayes wrote:
> My company is willing to host the site, and since I am part owner, I can put
> on it whatever I (and my business partner) want. I already have PHP
> installed, and the demo site (http://www.xulin.net/plug) is in PHP Nuke. I
> am also dabbling in Post Nuke, which seems alot nicer, but I digress.
> Anyways, if the group is willing to let my company host, then just consider
> that what the sight may need as a is issue, as long as it will work on Linux
> :)

At times I have been tempted to move stuff out of nothinbut.net, for
various reasons.  I am of the opinion that that is a very bad idea, because
nothinbut.net has been very stable, and good to us, for the SIX YEARS that
they have provided us with free hosting.  That's twice as long as I was
involved in PLUG, and maybe a year less than PLUG has existed.

On 10/07, Fred K Ollinger wrote:
> Since you asked, I, for one, like to use lynx.

You should try links.  It does tables.

On 10/07, Iman Mayes wrote:
> 3) The mailing list is good for being a mailing list. If you think it is all
> you need, then there is no need for a website. Does the mailing list have
> archives? Is it searchable? Obviously, a website could give you more
> functionality (and I'm not just talkin perty graphics).

Google search for "site:phillylinux.org <keywords>" (no angle brackets).
All websites are easily searchable.  (Unless they haven't been crawled or
you have an anti-social robots.txt)

I know I missed some stuff in this thread that I wanted to reply to.  Like
the blinking "PLUG" image.  It can still be found where it has always been:
http://www.phillylinux.org/pluglogo.gif

And this is what the plug website looked like when I inherited it from
LeRoy:

http://www.phillylinux.org/old/1999-10-13/

You may noticed that the "Plug Announcement" link points to my old website
at op.net.  A number of the pages didn't contain any content
(hardware/software reviews, etc.) - I didn't destroy or hide any content.
Except for that UBB web forum thing, which I discussed on the mailing list
before hiding (there was never anything in it either).

--
"Am I a man who dreamed I was a butterfly, or am I a butterfly who is
dreaming I am a man?" - Chuang Tsu, ~350 BC