W. Chris Shank on Wed, 9 Oct 2002 11:03:22 -0400

[PLUG] Compiliing a RedHat kernel for Vaio R505

I have a Vaio R505TS and the PCMCIA is buggy and unstable. For instance if
I boot with the PCMCIA CDROM inserted AND a CD in the drive, it will get
IRQ11 and be accessible. Without the CD in there, nothing. Also, I have a
Wireless PCMCIA Card. The first time I booted after installation I was
able to activate PCMCIA applet in KDE kicker, eject the CDROM and insert
the card - card was able to get IRQ11. I configured the card and was
wireless. kewl. Eject card and inser CDROM. failure. IRQ11 in accessible.

Also - this unit has a docking station with a CDrom attached via firewire.
The disk is recognized, but trying to mount a disk returns a "no medium
found" message.

So getting PCMCIA stable and getting the firewire CDROM working are my
primary goals. Everything I've read suggests I need to patch the kernel
and recompile. Prioblem is I have not been able to successfully compile a
RedHat kernel since 7.2. Has anyone else experienced this? The compiling
fails with errors. Last try, with RH8 it was in the apic (or apci - i
always get them confused) section. And I haven't even applied the patches
yet.

Anyone experience this? What is it about the newer RH sources?

Thanks