William H. Magill on Wed, 9 Oct 2002 20:50:03 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Mailing List maintenance

On Wednesday, October 9, 2002, at 03:41 PM, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
Okay, fine then. From the url in the footer of every message to the
mailing list:

What on earth would a General Discussion URL have to do with subscribing or
unsubscribing to a mailing list? One assumes that since this is a web site,
that it must be some kind of idiotic chat system.

Enter the email address that you want to change delivery options
for, and then change them.

Is that really so hard? The directions are on *every* *single* piece
of list mail.

Except for this message that you sent out. I realize that Many messages
contain a footer, but this message of yours displayed none. And in fact,
looking back over recent messages quite a few of them do not have footers.

For what it is worth, it appears that any message which has a PGP signature has no footer. (That is when viewed under Xemacs, as well as mail.app under OS X.) The footer is included as part of the mime attachment containing the signature.... the Mime end-of-message indicator comes after the PGP signature and BEFORE the footer.)

> --VSVNCtZB1QZ8vhj+ > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii > Content-Disposition: inline > Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

 main body of text

> --VSVNCtZB1QZ8vhj+

> --VSVNCtZB1QZ8vhj+--

=======

What could be done to make this easier and more intuitive?

When mail is sent to the people listed as the list maintainers:
"plug list run by Darxus@ChaosReigns.com, mct@toren.net"
requesting assistance in unsubscribing, they could at least have the common courtesy of replying; or if they are no longer responsible for the list, update the web page to reflect who IS responsible.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org