Paul on Wed, 16 Oct 2002 14:38:15 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT: Linux Business Forum

First, you have already identified a critical problem with the navigation system. Forget everything else until *everyone* can navigate your site in one way or another.

The DRYL site http://www.dryl.org is an example of a navigation system which will only work for people who have Java plugin support. I had to download a 20MB file, which is a pain using a 56k dial-up, to get Java support! Then I had trouble getting it to work. Needless to say, someone looking for Linux a solution won't stick around long enought to adapt their Web surfing environment to your requirements.

I've only looked at the main page so far.  Sounds good.

You wrote, "We also stand behind our products 100% with our service and support contracts." What is "our products"? Are you selling hardware or custom software or just Linux?

W. Chris Shank wrote:

There has been some great feedback from this posting. It's obvious that
many of you are having the same idea as myself. Proving tehr is a market
is a different problem entirely, but your responses are positive.

I encourage everyone to have a look at my website (www.acetechgroup.com)
and give feedback. I had already expected to sell the monthly service
idea, but am having much difficulty with the wording for the various
products/services etc. right now, I'd say that my site is in the Alpha
stage, regarding content, business message, etc. I finally had to make it
public because I needed to have others scrutinize it in order to keep it
moving forward.  I know there are some javascript errors with the menu if
you use IE6 - i use mozilla and it's ok. Also, konq won't show navigation
at all and neither will omniweb. So aside from _those_ problems, I'd like
to know your thoughts, reaction, impressions etc.

My thinking so far is to create a Linux VAR Association and simple web
portal. I don't want to spend a lot of time programming this, so I'll want
to use an existing package. Any thoughts? I think it should have threaded
discussions, and file postingsto share resources. What else?