sean finney on Wed, 16 Oct 2002 19:19:15 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT: Xbox or Playstation2

having played both systems, it's a tough decision.  here's the plus's and
minuses as i see 'em:

ps2:
+ plays old ps1 games.
+ plays dvd's
+ better controller
- a little older
+ more games
+ GTA 4 (if you haven't played 1, 2, or 3, you've been missing out)
- Britney (Spears)'s Dance Beat
+ usb ports
+ linux port
- no (built in) hd
- no built in broadband
- extra hw needed for > 2 controllers.

xbox:
- doesn't play dvd's (without some $$$ for an add-on, right?)
- controller is friggin huge
+ a little newer
+ graphics perhaps a touch nicer (i don't think i've seen any fair comparisons)
+ halo 2 (oh.....)
- turok: evolution
± linux port (that doesn't quite work iirc)
+ built in broadband
+ built in hard drive
+ 4 controllers
- xbox live

some of these are more subjective than others, obviously.  overall, i'd
reccomend the ps2 above the xbox (though halo 2... oh...)--if only on the
"I-don't-like-hard-wooden-objects-shoved-up-my-bum-by-microsoft" principle.
rant follows.

the xbox live looks to be very promising for an easy way à la battlenet for
folks to get their online gaming fix.  on the other hand, it's
going to be a pay service, even though folks are probably going to have to
host their own servers (so then what are they paying for?).  Plus just
because you pay for the service doesn't mean you'll get to play your
new game.  you may _also_ have to pay the video game developer
something monthly as well, or maybe only for the right to new 'maps' or
'models'.  sony, on the other hand, doesn't seem to be trying to shake
down its customers for anything more than the $39.95 that it costs to buy
the adapter add-on.  it doesn't take a math wiz to see that on one end
you're paying $40, and on the other you could be paying the same price,
every month!  maybe i'm being overly paranoid, and microsoft will be
benevolent enough to not charge people up the yin-yang for their
"services".  then again, as in other niches, maybe it's just the first
one that's free...

--sean