John Lavin on Wed, 16 Oct 2002 22:15:19 -0400

Re: [PLUG] X server permissions as a different user...

Never mind.  Further excerpts:

<Cobwa> What's a "set | grep DISP" say?
<Cobwa> (As root, the user trying to run xcdroast.)
<jlavin> first from ps:
  <jlavin> -auth /var/lib/kdm/authfiles/A:0-cNc2Hz
  <jlavin> ahh - it says nothing
  <Cobwa> Hmm, so something isn't exporting DISPLAY.
  <Cobwa> You ought to be able to run xcdroast with a param,
  something like :0 or -display :0
  <Cobwa> Or just "export DISPLAY=:0" in that session.
  <Cobwa> Should work then.
  <jlavin> xcdroast --display :0
  <jlavin> worked
  <Cobwa> :)
  <Cobwa> The clue was in the line:
  <Cobwa> <jlavin> Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
  <Cobwa> Here I see:
  <Cobwa> xhost:  unable to open display ":0.0"

Thanks Cobwa!!

-john
--
John Lavin