William H. Magill on Thu, 17 Oct 2002 11:42:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Maybe OT - "Supported" Unix on Intel CPUs?

On Tuesday, October 15, 2002, at 12:04 PM, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 11:48:58AM -0400, William H. Magill wrote:
To the best of my knowledge, you are correct. No "Unix" (ie Unix
branded) runs on Intel. SCO might be the closest thing to "Unix" that
does, except that it doesn't exist anymore. (I forget who bought them,
Novell maybe?)

It really shocks me that intelligent people have just never heard of BSD/OS.

BSD derivatives are NOT branded Unix. [BSD Unix was, but "BSD Unix" is no longer existent.]

You will notice that Wind River's BSD/OS does NOT call itself Unix.
The same is true of NetBSD and FreeBSD. And OpenBSD describes itself

	"The OpenBSD project produces a FREE, multi-platform 4.4BSD-based
	 UNIX-like operating system."

The reason for this is that Unix branding is a process and a licensing situation. It guarantees that the Operating system involved conforms to a large list of standards, and that it has been tested for that conformance by X/Open.

T.T.F.N. William H. Magill magill@mcgillsociety.org magill@acm.org magill@mac.com