Paul on Thu, 17 Oct 2002 22:30:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT: Linux Business Forum

So you can do things that the Windows admins can do, but they refuse to learn about what you can do with Linux. Yet, you have projects that can only be accomplished with Linux. Other than the $$$ it seems that, in this case, my belief is true. The Linux admin is superior to the Windows admin.

Yeah, that is a consideration. If Linux is so stable that it doesn't need maintenance, why pay an admin? Much of the development is free. That leaves sales and training. Hmm.

(I'm depressed. I don't think I want to work with computers anymore. Boo-hoo...)

Who are the "other" people you work with who know Linux?

Well, I am paid less than the windows admins, and they refuse to even try
to learn linux. I help out with windows a little. We have all our data on
a samba share which is backed up daily. This would have been done under
windows (more expensive to pay a windows person). Also, the projects that
I work on could not have been done under windows: custom software that
only runs under linux. If it did run under windows, they'd need to hire
someone to take care of these machines anyway. Of course, from the
advocacy I have heard, they would probably not need any maintenance
anyway, so this is a consideration. Also, the other people I work with do
know linux.