Fred K Ollinger on Fri, 18 Oct 2002 14:50:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT: Linux Business Forum

> So you can do things that the Windows admins can do, but they refuse to
> learn about what you can do with Linux.  Yet, you have projects that can

No, I can't. They told me to do it. Sysadmining has made me much less
religous about OS. I just do what I'm told w/ the tools I'm given. Not
bad.

> only be accomplished with Linux.  Other than the $$$ it seems that, in

The sw was written under linux using free tools, etc. It was paid for by
govt (research) money. It's a win-win for everyone.

> this case, my belief is true.  The Linux admin is superior to the
> Windows admin.

I didn't mean to say that I was superior in any way. I'm doing the best I
can just like windows sysadmins. I'm just telling other's experience,
YMMV.

> Yeah, that is a consideration.  If Linux is so stable that it doesn't
> need maintenance, why pay an admin?  Much of the development is free.

All OSes need maintenance. I don't have any opinions on relative
stability, however b/c I don't use windows enough to have any opinions on
it at all. I just read advocacy and the advocates say that win2k is rock
solid. I believe them based on their experience.

>  That leaves sales and training.  Hmm.

Training, for me, in linux is a blast. The people here really want to
learn linux. Also, I'm writing some manuals which is great fun for me.

> (I'm depressed.  I don't think I want to work with computers anymore.
>  Boo-hoo...)

I feel that way sometimes. You can run windows at work, be stupid while
there, and go home and run linux. Or become a janitor if there are no
linux jobs. I plan on the latter.

> Who are the "other" people you work with who know Linux?

Everyone in my dept knows *nix. Everyone I work w/ is intelligent. I'm not
saying that a leads to b, but both are true for my job. I'm happy.

Fred