Michael Leone on Fri, 18 Oct 2002 15:02:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] LBF (Linux Business Forum): Top Arguments FOR and AGAINST using Linux in Business

Matthew Ozor said:
> I touch a few of those topics and clear up what I mean.
>
>>Unsupported software (MS Office formats), etc
> Linux has OpenOffice.org now  full MS format support

Not in my experience. Resaving a Word doc in OO that has bulleting screws
up the formating of the bulleted list.

>> Those are all server level things. And the vast majority (in terms of
>> number of PCs and number of users) are on the desktop. Many places
>> already have Linux machines in place as servers. At a WAG, I'd say
>> most businesses buy 10x more desktops than servers, if not more.
>
> This true but creating a Intranet is vital for the organization of a
> companies activities.
>
>> >     *Apache
>> >     *MySQL
>> >     *PHP
>
> Can do this at no cost compared to the astronomical cost this would be
> on a NT server.

It's not astronomical. :-) Apache on Win32 is free. I beleive there is a
version of MySQL for Win32, also free. You pay for NT (well, these days
Win2K - few hundred bucks). Dunno if PHP is available for Win32, or how
much it costs.

The costs come in administrative time.

Member, LEAF Project <http://leaf.sourceforge.net>    AIM: MikeLeone
Public Key - <http://www.mike-leone.com/~turgon/turgon-public-key.asc>