Michael Leone on Fri, 18 Oct 2002 14:17:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] LBF (Linux Business Forum): Top Arguments FOR and AGAINST using Linux in Business

I'm in a Devil's Advocate kind of mood today. Don't take anything
personally, please.

Matthew Ozor said:
> FOR:
> -The biggest things that Linux brings to buisness is:
>     *Apache
>     *MySQL
>     *PHP
>   need I say more..

Those are all server level things. And the vast majority (in terms of
number of PCs and number of users) are on the desktop. Many places already
have Linux machines in place as servers. At a WAG, I'd say most businesses
buy 10x more desktops than servers, if not more.

> -The idea of creating a customized OS/Workstation
>     *Can you edit Windows source NO
>     *Does your company want to trust someone else,Spyware

Judging from the number of people who use MS for both servers and
desktops, I'd say the answer to this one is "yes", unfortunately ...

>     *Take control of the computing enviroment

Something most "regular" users don't care that much about, unfortunately.
To them, "take control of the environment" means downloading cool event
sounds, and using pretty themes on their desktop windows

>     *Can we say free software that is looked over by hundreds of people

We can. Most people apparently don't. :-)

> AGAINST
>     -Unsupported hardware

Unsupported software (MS Office formats), etc

>     -Pallidum
>     -Loss of control of system

Using Linux results in a loss of control of system? Uhhhmmm ... what?

Member, LEAF Project <http://leaf.sourceforge.net>    AIM: MikeLeone
Public Key - <http://www.mike-leone.com/~turgon/turgon-public-key.asc>
Registered Linux user# 201348