Bob Schwier on Fri, 18 Oct 2002 11:10:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] which image transfer format?

I could bore you with the math.  I have the book I used in college about a
meter away.  Anyway, Jeff is right, degregation is inevitable but until it
gets massive you will not notice.  In video, your eyes will fill in the
necessary information, in audio which is what I learned your ears will
fill in.  Consider that when you listen to an AM radio station, you only
hear one fourth of the sound because the rectification is only of what is
on the upswing of the positive side of the carrier wave.
Don't most compression formulations use the fact that there will be series
of ones or zeros that can then be said to be zero sixteen space instead of
writing 0000000000000000?  That should be replicatable as the short hand
does not remove any information until the dread bit error rate grabs you.
bs