Fred K Ollinger on Fri, 18 Oct 2002 16:32:12 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT: Linux Business Forum

> >I didn't mean to say that I was superior in any way. I'm doing the best I
> >can just like windows sysadmins. I'm just telling other's experience,
> >YMMV.
> >
> I know you didn't say it.  I did.  It's my prejustice.  8^)  What can't
> you do that Windows admins can do?  (My bet is that you lack specific
> experience with Windows, but that you know the underlying computer
> theory at a deeper level, and that you could get up to speed with
> Windows technology fairly quickly.)

Thanks.

> >I feel that way sometimes. You can run windows at work, be stupid while
> >there, and go home and run linux. Or become a janitor if there are no
> >linux jobs. I plan on the latter.
> >
> I think I will just apply for a job at Target.  Seriously.

Hey, though Rand gets a bad rap, I was inspired by parts of her books
especially when the hero worked as a builder rather than as an architect
for people who didn't share his vision. Nothing wrong w/ taking a lower
paying job instead of compromising yourself.

> >Everyone in my dept knows *nix. Everyone I work w/ is intelligent. I'm not
> >saying that a leads to b, but both are true for my job. I'm happy.
> >
> But, you stated that the Windows admins didn't want to learn about
> Linux, so how is it that eveyones knows it?

They are in a different department. I work w/ different depts. I had a
long conversation w/ someone who was laying ethernet cable w/ me. I told
her that she should learn *nix. She said it was too hard. I told her that
she could learn perl in an afternoon. She told me that then "they" would
give her more work. I thought it was a rotten attitude. I _like_ getting
more work. Then again, I get paid by the hour. I find it hard to believe
that knowledge in one's chosen career is not an asset. I learn all I can
on windows. Like I said, I have worked on interoperability w/ linux more
than once. The more I do this, the less I care about the name of the OS
inside and more about getting the project done. I am badly predudiced to
having a *nix on my desktop if only b/c I find it much easier to work w/
due to its familiarity.

Fred