Mike Leone on Fri, 18 Oct 2002 18:15:11 -0400

Re: [PLUG] LBF (Linux Business Forum): Top Arguments FOR and AGAINST using Linux in Business

Fred K Ollinger (follinge@sas.upenn.edu) wrote this on 10 18, 02 at 15:06:
> > FOR:
> > - cheaper operating costs
> > - stability and uptime
> > - no single vendor lock-in
>
> Fun.

Meaningless, in a business environment. :-)

> Flexible.
> Longer history.

Unix, yes. Not Linux. And yes, some people do see them as different.

> Consistency.
> Configurability.
> Univeral compatability.

With?

> Privacy.
> Piracy fears (BSA).
> Ease of use.

*nix is seen as extremely hard to use; all those arcane command line options
to remember.

> More software by default.
> Quicker patch releases.
> Teaches overall computer knowledge rather than memorizing a series of
> buttons that will change in the next release.

See point one, above. :-)

> VB support.

*nix has VB support?

> > AGAINST:
> > - user retraining
> > - MS Office compatibility
> > - unfamiliarity - FUD
>
> Scares people away.
> Percieved lack of support.
> Games.
> Better animations when booting (I'm not kidding, this is important.)
> Household brandname.
> Consistency.
> Cost--many departments pride themselves on how BIG their budgets are.
> Well-known software.
> Job security.
> Ease of learning.
> More software you can buy.
> Obscurity from hacking (no source).
> Schools are cranking out people who have all the buttons memorized for the
> current release.
> VB support.

Nice list.

Member, LEAF Project <http://leaf.sourceforge.net>    AIM: MikeLeone