Fred K Ollinger on Fri, 18 Oct 2002 18:56:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] LBF (Linux Business Forum): Top Arguments FOR and AGAINST using Linux in Business

> Fred K Ollinger (follinge@sas.upenn.edu) wrote this on 10 18, 02 at 15:06:
> > > FOR:
> > > - cheaper operating costs
> > > - stability and uptime
> > > - no single vendor lock-in
> >
> > Fun.
>
> Meaningless, in a business environment. :-)

Actually fun was a big deal where I worked before I got where I'm at. The
terminal was seen as too boring. This was in a research lab setting with
medical doctors. They claimed that it was too hard to memorize 5, 2
letter works: ls, etc. These same people who had to get a visual idea of
every organ in the body had a hard time abstracting out a filesystem in
their heads. Strange. I found linux a breeze comparted to med school.

> > Flexible.
> > Longer history.
>
> Unix, yes. Not Linux. And yes, some people do see them as different.

I meant the system. So that if you learned shell in 1975 you'd be ok. This
was before windows existed. If you learned windows 1.0, you'd have serious
retraining to do every up to 1995 when things stabilized. This is very
costly. Much cheaper to change one time.

But I don't think that money is a big deal to these hypothetical
customers.

> > Consistency.

See above.

> > Configurability.

I have a start menu on my desktop that says "start" and it has a windows
logo on it. Other times I have an apple on the top of the screen.
Othertimes, a smelly foot. Windows can do this, but it's a bit harder,
IMHO.

How to stop filemanager in win2k? How to boot to console? How to eliminate
windows logo while booting win98?

> > Univeral compatability.
>
> With?

Posix. Files created in linux can usually be opened in windows, but not
vice versa.

> > Privacy.
> > Piracy fears (BSA).
> > Ease of use.
>
> *nix is seen as extremely hard to use; all those arcane command line options
> to remember.

But they are wrong. Windows may seem easy to learn, though I don't think
so. Learning all those arcane menus is hard. And it teaches less about the
underlying system b/c things are abstracted out. When I learn about
networking, I learn how to network at the same time. I picked up
networking in openbsd really fast. I'll never forget that weekend I tried
to configure a win2k box as a router (and failed). I figured that I was
going to get an honorary mcse. In the end, I found out that we needed
win2k server not win2k pro. Where to download that? I _don't_ pirate sw,
btw.

> > More software by default.
> > Quicker patch releases.
> > Teaches overall computer knowledge rather than memorizing a series of
> > buttons that will change in the next release.
>
> See point one, above. :-)
>
> > VB support.
>
> *nix has VB support?

No, many people see lack of VB support to be an advantage. :)

I put it on both lists as a joke.

Oh, here's another advantage to MS: cooler names for things. "Patch" is a
"service pack". We're not fixing bugs, we are dealing with "issues". We
are adding "services" in "packs". :) Who's going to take OSS seriously
when they show all their bugs like a badge of honor instead of hiding them
under animations?

Seriously, I wish all the business people the best, I know you will go
far. But I'm happy to just take orders and do my fun stuff at home.

Fred