Mike Leone on Fri, 18 Oct 2002 19:22:07 -0400

Re: [PLUG] LBF (Linux Business Forum): Top Arguments FOR and AGAINST using Linux in Business

Fred K Ollinger (follinge@sas.upenn.edu) wrote this on 10 18, 02 at 18:55:

> > > Fun.
> >
> > Meaningless, in a business environment. :-)
>

> Actually fun was a big deal where I worked before I got where I'm at. The

Take my word for it, Fred ... "fun" doesn't enter into the considerations
for the vast majority of businesses. :-) If it does all the other wonderful
things, and happens to be fun, great; but fun as a primary selling point
would almost certainly lose you a sale. Tell them why they bother changing
their current methods, what it would gain them .. and why Linux is what
would gain them the *most* - that's what a businessperson wants to hear.

> > > Flexible.
> > > Longer history.
> >
> > Unix, yes. Not Linux. And yes, some people do see them as different.
>
> I meant the system. So that if you learned shell in 1975 you'd be ok. This
> was before windows existed. If you learned windows 1.0, you'd have serious
> retraining to do every up to 1995 when things stabilized. This is very
> costly. Much cheaper to change one time.

And if you haven't updated your knowledge sine 1975, you'd need serious
re-training, too. Things like iptables, perl, object-oriented design, ODBC
connections to databases, etc, didn't exist back then. (OK maybe perl would
be easy for a programmer to pickup. It's still retraining)

> > > Consistency.
>
> See above.

Ditto. :-)

> > > Configurability.
>
> I have a start menu on my desktop that says "start" and it has a windows
> logo on it. Other times I have an apple on the top of the screen.
> Othertimes, a smelly foot. Windows can do this, but it's a bit harder,
> IMHO.
>
> How to stop filemanager in win2k? How to boot to console? How to eliminate
> windows logo while booting win98?

I know how to do all that. Any advanced Windows user would.

> > > Univeral compatability.
> >
> > With?
>
> Posix. Files created in linux can usually be opened in windows, but not
> vice versa.

You're referring to text only files? I don't follow.

> > > Privacy.
> > > Piracy fears (BSA).
> > > Ease of use.
> >
> > *nix is seen as extremely hard to use; all those arcane command line options
> > to remember.
>
> But they are wrong. Windows may seem easy to learn, though I don't think
> so. Learning all those arcane menus is hard. And it teaches less about the

LOL!

> underlying system b/c things are abstracted out. When I learn about

Again, most Windows users don't *care* about the underlying system. Only in
so far as they have to. We're talking about the target LBF market - small to
medium business. Probably businesses with little to no full-time IT staff.

BTW, Dell defines "medium" as something like 400 employees. I'd hope that
any company that has 400 employees has at least a rudimentary IT staff. :-)

> networking, I learn how to network at the same time. I picked up
> networking in openbsd really fast. I'll never forget that weekend I tried
> to configure a win2k box as a router (and failed). I figured that I was
> going to get an honorary mcse. In the end, I found out that we needed
> win2k server not win2k pro. Where to download that? I _don't_ pirate sw,
> btw.

Then you don't know you don't download (non-evaluations) of commercial,
closed-source software. :-)

> > > VB support.
> >
> > *nix has VB support?
>
> No, many people see lack of VB support to be an advantage. :)

Oh, so you meant "lack of VB vulnerabilities". Actually, that's more like
"lack of VBScript vulnerabilities" - bit different.

> Oh, here's another advantage to MS: cooler names for things. "Patch" is a
> "service pack". We're not fixing bugs, we are dealing with "issues". We

Service Pack is a large collection of patches, not a single patch.

> are adding "services" in "packs". :) Who's going to take OSS seriously
> when they show all their bugs like a badge of honor instead of hiding them
> under animations?
>
> Seriously, I wish all the business people the best, I know you will go
> far. But I'm happy to just take orders and do my fun stuff at home.

As I always say ... me staff. :-)

Member, LEAF Project <http://leaf.sourceforge.net>    AIM: MikeLeone
Public Key - <http://www.mike-leone.com/~turgon/turgon-public-key.asc>
Registered Linux user# 201348