Edward M. Corrado on Wed, 23 Oct 2002 09:00:05 -0400

[PLUG] Sun Iso's (was Solaris for Students)

Interesting that PLUG was talking about Solaris being free the same
week that I received this update from Sun News. I cut out everything
except the part about "free" Solaris. I took a quick peak at the site, and
it looks like it will cost you $20 to download Solaris 8 for x86 or Sparc,
but Solaris 9 for Sparc is a free download (I didn't see anything about
the off-again on-again Solaris 9 for x86). It appears that in this case,
we are talking about free beer and not free speech. Also, note that this
is for machines with one processor. See the site for more details and the
license agreement.

--
Edward Corrado
President
LUG/IP (Linux Users Group/In Princeton)
ecorrado@lugip.org

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 21:27:40 +0000
From: Sun Microsystems <sun-news@sun.com>
To: ecorrado@rider.edu
Subject: Sun News: The Buzz About Blades

SUN NEWS
http://sun.com
22 October 2002, Vol 3 No 41

PROMOTIONS: SOLARIS[sm] BINARY LICENSE PROGRAM

Now you can use the Solaris[tm] 8 or 9 Operating Environment at
home or at work -- without paying a license fee. For only the cost
of media plus shipping or download related costs, you can use the
software on single processor computers supplied to you by Sun or
its authorized distributors or based on the Intel architecture.
For complete details and restrictions, visit:
http://sun.com/software/solaris/binaries/index.html?AssociateId=NEWS17

For more special promotions from Sun, visit:
http://sun.com/promotions/index.html?AssociateId=NEWS17