Bill Jonas on Wed, 23 Oct 2002 09:40:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Distributing Red Hat

On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 10:16:59AM -0400, Matthew Ozor wrote:
> I believe the ISO's are taken right from the same CD's Redhat sells. You can
> copy and sell them but only to cover the cost of production and shipping.
> You can't sell copies for $50 but $10 is normally ok. Check out eBay there
> is a bunch of people selling copies of different distributions. Some even
> sell beta versions.

No, everything's GPL, so you can sell it for whatever price someone will
pay you.  The only thing to note is that Red Hat Software, Inc. has
asserted their trademark rights over the "Red Hat" mark, which is why
there are restrictions on the redistribution of the software if it still
contains any of their marks, especially if it's been modified.

See also:
http://www.redhat.com/about/corporate/trademark/page5.html
http://www.redhat.com/about/corporate/trademark/page6.html
And various other pages linked from
<http://www.redhat.com/about/corporate/trademark/guidelines.html>.

"They that can give up  essential  liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."        -- Benjamin Franklin