Arthur S. Alexion on Fri, 25 Oct 2002 17:28:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Reply-to issue with the mailing list.

On Friday 25 October 2002 02:29 pm, Michael Leone wrote:
> Arthur S. Alexion said:
> > On Thursday 24 October 2002 02:26 pm, William H. Magill wrote:
> >> Personally, I prefer the LISTSERV(tm) setting which allows for
> >> replies to go both to the sender AND the entire list in the
> >> Reply-To. This at least, allows one to "edit out" the list, which
> >> is usually an "easier" action than looking up the desired address
> >> and cutting and pasting it into place.
> >
> > For the reasons that you cite, the problem with the setting that
> > you suggest, is that, most of the time, anyone participating in a
> > thread ends up getting multiple copies of messages.
>
> Exactly. I'm on the list; don't send me private copies of a list
> message!
>
> :-) But most people never bother trimming the TO:/CC: lines. And
> : that's
>
> what makes that setting so much of a PITA.

Plus, its counter-intuitive.  The Palm/Ultraviolet list that I'm on is
set up that way, and I never remember to CHOOSE to reply to the list
since no other list I read works that way.  I keep sending private
replies intended for the list.