William H. Magill on Tue, 29 Oct 2002 10:30:04 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Darwin Question

On Monday, October 28, 2002, at 04:10 PM, JP Toto wrote:
I've been doing some poking around Apple's site but I guess I haven't really had my questions answered so I'll toss a softball out for you guys. Does Darwin come with any of the features that full blown OS X Server comes with? Is it just the underlying BSD-like OS stuff? Does it come with any kind of X system or GUI or anything? Just curious because I was thinking of playing with it. Also... does it run on x86?

As has been pointed out, Darwin runs on many platforms from Digital Alpha to x86...
however, that is DARWIN only. Note the obvious however, the comment... "All software built for Darwin should be able to run unmodified on Mac OS X" refers to SOURCE RECOMPILED software not binaries, for the simple reason that OSX runs on only one platform (today) Motorola PowerPC. Similarly, Darwin software which depends upon X11 will not run on "native" OSX. It requires that some X11 system be installed on top of OS X.

The primary "features" (aka Value Added) which OS X provides over Darwin involve the Quartz GUI and desktop structure, without which Darwin is simply "just another" *nix port.

As for the "features" of OSX Server vs OSX Client -- again, at the moment, it is strictly all about the GUI. OSX Server has a number of GUIs which are used to manage the various server applications -- Apache, SAMBA, multiple users, etc. There are a couple of "interesting" changes coming in 10.2.2 which will only be "enabled" on OS X Server. However, since they do involve kernel mods, the Client will support them, as the Kernels are the same... they just will require command line intervention to turn them on. (Or some GUI "hacking tool" like TinkerTool.)

Now, if the Open Source community would get its act together around CUPS, OS X would be much more "user friendly." "printcap" files were "so much easier" to create.:)

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org