Jason Costomiris on Sat, 2 Nov 2002 02:50:06 -0500

Re: [PLUG] mobo angst

On Friday, November 1, 2002, at 09:45  PM, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:

Is there something I'm missing, or is it really just sort of a crap
shoot each time, make sure you can return stuff, etc.?

It's pretty tough to get something that won't work with Linux. Usually, that distinction is reserved for manufacturers who are hardware butchers, like Compaq... Stay away from "windows enhanced" features such as winmodems and you'll be safe. Realize that AMR modems are almost always winmodems, if you've got an AMR slot.

That being said, generally speaking, cheap motherboards usually yield poorer performance. Stick with name brands you know to be good, you'll be glad you did.

For instance, I only build systems with Asus, Intel and Abit motherboards (in that order of preference). The few extra bucks you spend on a better mobo will usually yield better performance, but may also give you better features, and provide better quality.

Personally, if I were going to build a P4 system tomorrow, I'd get an Asus P4B533-V (full ATX for a desktop) or P4B533-VM (MicroATX for a 1RU server).

You can get both of those for about $95.  Features:

i845G chipset
533 Mhz FSB
6 USB 2.0 ports
Available with Intel-based 10/100 Ethernet onboard
1 4x AGP / 6 PCI slots (3 on the VM model)
3 PC2100 DDR DIMM sockets (2 on the VM model)
onboard 6-channel audio onboard
*TONS* of overclocking-friendly options

The onboard audio isn't terribly attractive to me, but may be to someone who needs to be more cost-conscious..

--
Jason Costomiris <><
E: jcostom {at} jasons {dot} org / W: http://www.jasons.org/