Jeff Abrahamson on Sat, 2 Nov 2002 10:50:04 -0500

Re: [PLUG] mobo angst

On Sat, Nov 02, 2002 at 02:33:48AM -0500, Jason Costomiris wrote:
> On Friday, November 1, 2002, at 09:45  PM, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
>
> >Is there something I'm missing, or is it really just sort of a crap
> >shoot each time, make sure you can return stuff, etc.?
>
> It's pretty tough to get something that won't work with Linux.

I wonder if the various incompatibility things I've read are more
often about auxiliary stuff like on-board sound, ethernet, etc. I
always assume I'll have to add cards for those things anyway.

> That being said, generally speaking, cheap motherboards usually yield
> poorer performance.  Stick with name brands you know to be good, you'll
> be glad you did.

I tend to go for name brand (== I've heard of it), not too new, so
cheaper. (The one I bought is a Gigabyte GA-8xxxx, not at the bottom
of the price heap, but below the middle.)

Thanks much for your comments, all.

--
 Jeff