Michael Leone on Sun, 3 Nov 2002 12:28:14 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Problems w/SMTP on Verizon DSL, none on Comcast Cable?

On Sun, 2002-11-03 at 01:11, Paul wrote:
> When I had Telocity (DirectTV) DSL I think they used Verizon to make the
> connection.  Do you think that I would have the port 25 problem now if I
> singed up for a service which uses Verizon's lines?  (Of course the
> accepted domains would be different.)

I have Verizon as a DSL line provider, and DCA.NET as an ISP. The
blocking, if any, is done by the ISP, not the line provider. I run my
own mailserver, tho, and so don't use DCA's mailservers.

> >I've done a little searching, and the only reference I can find ATM is
> >at <http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/08/09/0323208>: "Verizon is
> >apparently...  blocking outgoing port 25 and requiring use of Verizon's
> >SMTP servers to send email."  And then the Verizon SMTP servers reject
> >mail without a From: line with an @verizon.net or @bellatlantic.net.  I
> >know that this is the case because a former co-worker had Verizon DSL
> >(with Verizon as both line provider and ISP) and he confirmed this.

PGP public key:
<http://www.mike-leone.com/~turgon/turgon-public-key.gpg>

These are the memories which make me a wealthy soul ...