Charles Stack on Sun, 3 Nov 2002 12:35:21 -0500

RE: [PLUG] Problems w/SMTP on Verizon DSL, none on Comcast Cable?

I had Telocity and they didn't limit anything.  I had full access to my home
machine from whereever I allowed access through my firewall.

I was a bit bummed when I moved 1/2 mile and found I was unable to get
Telocity BUT I could get Verizon DSL.  When I spoke with the folks at
Telocity, they informed me that they subcontract DSL lines from Verizon and
that my current address was not in their list.

So...here I am on Verizon DSL getting scanned and attacked everyday by
people looking for somebody else at my daily IP.   Most of those attacks are
from KaaZa...something that I have never used nor will I ever use.  I have
to NAT all traffic and have no open ports because I have seen even Verizon
scanning my system as they attempt to enforce their TOS.  This limitation is
a real drag.  But, the performance of Verizon DSL has been very good...I
just have to defer my plans until they either allow static IPs or another
provider can provide me with one.

Charles